This morning I woke up in a total funk.  I wanted to stay home for the holidays so why was I sad now that I was alone (my family lives out-of-state)?  This is what I wanted.  But still, I was emotional.  Being sick didn’t help.  My love had to leave for work at 7:30, was gone for 12 hours and my son is with his dad for Thanksgiving this year.

Earlier, the thought of getting a bowl of cereal seemed like a feat, but I knew if I didn’t snap out of this funk I was going to regret it.  Eventually I decided I needed pumpkin pie and proceeded to get dressed (if you want to call if that) and took my sick self to Safeway.  As I walked out of the store I noticed my mood had dramatically changed.  I guess I just needed to be around people for a little bit.

Thanksgiving DinnerWhen I got home I knew I had all day to cook and took my time.  I made a turkey, gravy from the drippings, cranberry sauce, crispy turkey skin, candied walnuts and frozen pumpkin & cherry pies.  It was a simple, but delicious dinner.  My guy was so happy to come home to a warm, home cooked meal.  He devoured everything and now sits here with his feet up and a fully belly.

Though my day started out with me crying for no reason (thank you hormones) I’m thankful it’s turned around to be a pretty nice evening.  It’s a lot easier to get through the lows when I’m aware of what’s going on and push myself to do something to fix it.

I hope, whatever you did today, you were with the ones you love making memories to tell to generations to come.  Though my day could have been a complete waste, instead I tried a new recipe, took time to write and get to spend quality time with my man.




Sunday Breakfast

I don’t get to take my time in the kitchen very often, but when I do it’s usually on Sunday morning.  We typically don’t have any commitments or schedules and if we do have somewhere to be it’s later in the day.

I had a nice piece of tri-tip left over from last night so I sliced it and placed it on a baking sheet in a 425 degree oven (400 if you’re using convection) for about 10 minutes.  The trick, put the meat in the oven when you turn it on.  Let it come to temperature then set the timer.  It came out nice and crispy, just the way we like it.  And it’s less mess than frying.

For the eggs I kept it simple today.  I whisked together seven eggs, about a tablespoon of whole milk (I never measure) and about two tablespoons of stone ground Dijon mustard with hot sauce.  I also sprinkled salt and pepper to taste.  I used a fork and whisked the mixture until it started to fluff.

I’ve finally learned that eggs need patience.  I poured the mixture into a preheated pan with a little butter.  You have to listen to the pan (this is true for all cooking in my opinion).  You can hear when it’s time to start moving the eggs around.  Slowly folding them over on occasion to allow for an even cook.  Once the eggs started to firm I added a handful of shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend, but use whatever you like), folding the eggs over to form a pocket.  I let it sit for a second or two to allow the cheese to start to warm up and then I fold it over a few more times until the cheese is melted and starting to brown/crisp.

Here is a picture of the finished product.  I put this awesome fig mustard on my meat because I love dips, spreads, sauces, etc.  Any excuse to eat one is a great excuse to me.

Mornings like these are far and few between, but they are a perfect reminder of how blessed we are.